Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Tasty Tuesday Award Winning Chili

I love Fall.  It is just a matter of fact, I love it.  I wish I could live somewhere where it was fall all year round.  The scarves, boots, sweaters, Football, and food, what's not to love about it?  Here in Utah however, Fall usually means snow in about a month, but beggars can't be choosers ;).  So to get ready for my favorite time of year I thought I would entice you with the best chili you will ever make winner of blue ribbon Arizona State Fair, 1989!


Rocky Mountain Elk Firehouse Chili       

1 1/2 lbs. ground elk meat 9 (or beef)
1 large yellow onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 cans tomato sauce (10 1/2 oz. each)
2 cans Italian-style stewed tomatoes (15 1/2 oz. each)
1 can dark red kidney beans, drained (15 1/2 oz. each)
1 can black beans, drained (15 1/2 oz. each)
1 small can diced green chilies
1 fresh jalapeno pepper, diced
1 fresh yellow hot pepper, diced
1/2 cup red bell pepper, diced
5 tsp. red chili powder
1 1/2  tsp. cumin powder
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. black pepper
1/2 cup brown sugar

Brown meat, onion and garlic in skillet in small amount of oil. Drain. Add to other ingredients in a pot, cover and simmer on low for an hour or more.  Serves 4-6

In the picture you will see that we served it over a Corn Bread Waffle.  Just buy a package of corn bread mix, which ever you like or make your own, and poor into a waffle iron and cook for just a few minutes.  Then top with anything you like; cheese, sour cream, etc.  I think it is FANTASTIC just by its self though.  I swear once you make this you will never want any other kind! 

Happy Crafting!


No comments:

Post a Comment