Friday, July 9, 2010

Frugal Fridays

This week's money saving tip is to buy ahead.  I am always thinking about my family's future needs, so when I find something on sale, I can buy it and save myself a lot of money down the line.

For example, I have two kids heading to school this Fall.  They will both need backpacks and lunch bags.  When I was in Utah visiting family earlier this summer I stopped into Down East Outfitters (my favorite bargain hunting ground).  They had monogrammed Pottery Barn Kids' backpacks, and lunch bags, on clearance for an additional 50% off their already low prices.  I grabbed two sets of matching backpacks, and lunch bags for each kid.  The backpacks were $5.00, and the lunch pails $2.50.  I took them home, sat down with a seam ripper, and removed the monograms.  Now I have two years worth of back to school supplies for two kids that cost me a grand total of $30.  Even if I had purchased backpacks and lunch bags on sale at Target I would have paid at least $10 for each backpack, and $5.00 for a lunch bag.  Plus, Pottery Barn Kids' bags are much higher quality and won't be coming apart at the seams by the end of the school year.  Buying ahead means you save money, and get better quality.

I also use this principle with birthday and Christmas gifts.  I try to buy items on clearance for at least 75% off, then store them until I need them.  Many stores like Target, Toys R Us, and Walmart, mark down lots of toys in July and August to get ready for new Fall lines coming in.  The next few weeks are the perfect time to stock up.

Hope you all have a great weekend.  Don't forget to enter our giveaway, it ends on Saturday.

No comments:

Post a Comment