Tuesday, March 5, 2013

Tasty Tuesday Mexican Lime Soup

Hello everyone!  I am so sorry that I had a brief moment of absence, I just finished moving this past week, and doing that with a four month old and a very busy husband I have had a lot on my hands.  But I am so excited to be back and sharing craft ideas and making tasty treats!

This week I made a delicious Mexican Lime Soup.  It was spicy, tasty, and would be great if you have that terrible cold flu going around!
What you will need:
  • 1/2 c. lime juice
  • 1 rotisserie chicken, shredded
  • kosher salt to taste
  • freshly ground pepper to taste
  • 1 tsp cayenne pepper 
  • 1 Tbs olive oil
  • 1 large white onion, chopped
  • 5 garlic cloves, minced
  • 1 jalapeño chili, seeded and minced
  • 3 cups low-sodium chicken broth  
  • 3 cups water
  • 1 1/2 tsp. Mexican oregano 
  • 1 can black beans, drained 
  • 1 Haas avocado, pitted, peeled and diced
  • 2 oz. mild feta cheese, crumbled 
  • 1 lime, for garnish

Directions:

Cut 1 lime into 4 to 6 wedges; set aside for serving. In a large saucepan over medium heat, warm the olive oil. Add the onion to the pan and sauté until translucent, about 4 minutes. Add the garlic and chili and sauté until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the broth, water, lime juice, cayenne pepper and oregano, then add the chicken to the pan. Increase the heat to high and bring the liquid to a boil. Then bring down to a simmer. Adjust the seasonings with salt and pepper.
Put the avocado, cheese and lime wedges in separate small bowls. Ladle the soup into bowls and serve immediately. Pass the avocado, cheese and lime wedges alongside. Serves 4 to 6.
I hope you enjoy the soup recipe, I know I did!



Happy Crafting!








1 comment:

  1. Another GREAT recipe. My daughter and I love limes and lemons-so this is right up our alley- thank you!

    ReplyDelete